The following article is written to guide you in your choice and not to praise a particular platform. It is also to clear up certain preconceived ideas, especially concerning the price of a gamer pc or the graphic weakness of a console. Of course you know very well that at topmobilegadgets. I prefer the PC but at least you will know why I think that.
The consoles selected for the article will be the most powerful of the moment, i.e. the Playstation 4 (PS4) and the Xbox One (XOne), the WiiU is ruled out because it does not play in the same category as the others.
The PS4 and XOne have the same basic architecture but not the same chip that powers them. In both cases it is AMD which provides them with an APU (CPU and GPU together on the chip). The CPU part is made up of 8 Jaguar cores with 4MB of L2 cache and clocked between 1.6 and 1.75Ghz.
So a 1.6GHz Octacore Jaguar (Playstation 4) would be roughly equivalent in terms of CPU performance to a Quad Core at around 3.3GHz, while that of the Xbox One is rather equivalent to a Quad Core at 3.7 GHz.. In other words, the Athlon X4 860K turns out to be slightly better than the Xbox One’s CPU, and a little notch above that of the PS4.
However, the CPU memory bandwidth of these consoles is much higher than what is found on a PC.
The GPU part on the other hand is different where the PS4 has 1152 stream processors with 72 texturing units and 32 ROPs, the XOne has 768 respectively with 48 units of 16 ROPs.
The lack of power is slightly mitigated by the frequency of the chips which is 853 Mhz instead of 800 Mhz at Sony but this effort is annihilated by the memory used which is once again in favor of Sony with GDDR5 which provides 176 GB / s versus DDR3 at 68GB/s + 32MB of SRAM from Microsoft.
A PC at the same price as a console
As much to be clear now the price of a console being 400th it is impossible to have a PC with a graphics card and the operating system at this price , but as we will see later we will do our little calculations to know what is the gaming PC that will be more efficient and that will not cost us more over time.
– It is undeniable that the consoles are easier to use and are more user-friendly (sofa with friends) but on the other hand the PC is more versatile, more powerful, remains scalable and is suitable for all styles of games.
– The graphics and processor power are equivalent to an R7 260X graphics card and despite a different architecture the CPU is equivalent to an Athlon X4 860K which are both low end in the PC world. But be careful, one thing is certain, it is not because your PC is slightly more powerful than a console on paper that the final result will be better ! Indeed, the games that come out on console are optimized on the hardware of the console (which is unique unlike the very varied hardware of PCs) and the developers improve over the years.
Of course, as we are gamers, we will not be satisfied with this gear and we will aim for an even faster 2-core or even a 4-core which will be much higher.
– Once again it is not with a 400th pc that we are going to brag but whether in terms of aesthetics, silence or size, but the PC is often in front as well, there is no what to see these boxes to see the diversity and the possible choice according to these needs.
– Storage is unfortunately a weak point, the consoles have 2.5″ hard drives and are slow because they run at 5400 rpm compared to our modern PCs with SSD or the worst 7200 rpm hard drive, installation of a game is long on a console and the space will quickly run out if you want to keep your games installed (10-15 games max)
– Versatility is a must on today’s consoles as they can go on the internet, you can listen to music or watch videos but clearly who is placing orders in e-stores, or watching a blu-ray rip from his console? Nobody and that’s where we say to ourselves that a console is simple, yes, but suddenly everything that is a little out of the ordinary will not be supported, or little, so the PC remains the platform where you can do almost everything.
– The OS of the consoles which also determine the possibilities seen above will also prevent you from installing mods which PC players are so fond of because they allow them to completely change a game (GTA 5 in RPG, Skyrim in survival game). To the advantage of consoles, the OS is simpler and there will be fewer bugs or crashes without being totally absent. Graphics drivers and other game updates are now supported on both consoles and PCs, so they’re on par.
– Backward compatibility is starting to see the light of day on Xbox and will remain absent on PS4, but I’ll sum up my thoughts in two sentences.
Console player: “I would love an uncharted first of the name I had on PS3 but I still have to go back to the checkout, too bad”
PC player: “I’m going to redo a little Conmmand & Conquer, even if he’s ten years old, I love him”
On the one hand you are confined to the current generation of consoles, on the other you will have access to all the video games you want, provided of course that you get your hands dirty sometimes.
– The excluded are surely the most positive point of the consoles, which PC player has never eyed a Forza, Halo or Uncharted which are definitive excluded or complain about not being served first when the announcement is made GTA5 or Rise of Tomb Raider. But to counterbalance this, console players do not have access to certain types of games such as strategy or management games .
– Ergonomics can also be a concern with a limited number of non-reassignable buttons and even if on a fighting or racing game this is not a problem, on action games or FPS the developers are obliged to put “auto aim” assistance in order to compensate for the lack of efficiency of a controller compared to the keyboard, mouse combo. Of course the controller is provided on console while it must be purchased in addition on PC for a variable cost.
The choice of other peripherals such as arcade sticks, steering wheels, controllers and joysticks and many more even if once again it will be necessary to pay the price to have quality.
– Incidental costs
Unfortunately for Sony, one of the attractions of the older generation was that it offered a free online gaming service, which is no longer relevant. It will therefore be necessary to pay 50 to 60e per year in addition to the console.